Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How did you spend your $100 Climate Change Dividend?

A couple weeks ago, I put mine towards a Xtracycle that I've been coveting for the last two years. It finally made it up to the top of my priorities list. When I was looking to buy one in Canada I noticed that they could be found in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario. I chose to spend my money in Saskatchewan, knowing that richer Alberta and Ontario don't need it as badly. I bought my Xtracycle at Escape Sports. The owner, Jonathon was a real help and went out of his way to ship it on the bus where it would get handled less and I could save on cost. It was cheaper than he even expected it to be. 


I've never enjoyed driving and now I have even more opportunities to not drive a vehicle. The Xtracycle offers me the ability to ride my bike further and to carry more weight. I can easily carry a weeks worth of groceries and one of my kids on the back. Last week I was carrying more than eighty pounds! My husband is going to build a double seat so I can carry both my kids, since my younger son is too small to just hang on. I'm sure for longer trips my older daughter could tire and a seat for her would be ever useful. 

The best part about it is that you hardly notice that it's even attached. You aren't towing any of the extra weight thanks to it being evenly distributed between the wheels allowing it to behave in the same fashion my bike was originally designed to. I may go a bit slower on some of the hills but as long as one understands and is adept at shifting gears and planning the bike route to avoid the steeper hills it's a pleasant, enjoyable way to ride.

The other night the kids and I all hopped on and my husband gave us a ride. It was easier than expected and pretty nice to be on the receiving end of the ride for once!

I can't say enough about this purchase and the value it's adding to our lives! If you see me riding around town, don't hesitate to comment or ask questions! I even have a few extra Xtracycle flyers in my bag if you're interested.



My breakfast the other morning was too good to not share. We had fruit and I made my favourite Sweet Potato Honey Biscuits. They were so rich and tasty. Since they are so quick and easy to make we have them often throughout the year. If there's interest I'd probably be willing to share the recipe for this or any other meal we make...

1 comment:

dilling said...

that bike is COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!