Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nanaimo Municipal Elections 2008

Go Nanaimo Blog has put for a list of candidates that he would endorses as worthwhile.
Vote for Change in Nanaimo
Nanaimo is at a crossroads. The old city council has dug us into a hole by borrowing tens of millions of dollars to build the Vancouver Island Conference Centre, aka Port of Nanaimo Centre, without the necessary hotel. Some current council members, especially Korpan, Bestwick, Manhas, McNabb, and Unger, seem prepared to rubber stamp almost any development project that comes their way, even environmentally-damaging urban sprawl schemes like Cable Bay. Many newbie candidates, including Ruttan, Campbell, Greves, Johnstone, MacDonald, McGuffie, and Pearson, are cut from a similar mould and will continue the same failed Korpan-Manhas-Cantelon policies if elected. Nanaimo residents have a chance to vote for change on Saturday, November 15, 2008. GoNanaimo.com endorses the following candidates who will work for you:

MAYOR OF NANAIMO
BRENNAN, Diane

NANAIMO CITY COUNCIL
BOLIN, Ron
FORBES, Bill
FULLER, Gordon
HOLDOM, Bill
NEGRIN, Angela
PATTJE, Fred
SCHACHNER, Simon

POSTED ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2008
I have to agree with most of the candidates above.

First, I absolutely CAN NOT support Angela Negrin as a worthwhile candidate for consideration. Imnsho, Angela would fall into the same category as James Younger. While she's likely more competent with English than James, she doesn't seem to have any attributes to offer the city of Nanaimo. The simple fact that she would base her election signage on the Free Tibet colour scheme is a slap in the face to the serious situation happening in Tibet. No matter how questionable the running of Nanaimo is it can never compare to the conflict in Tibet. Ugh. I'm disgusted that she would make a comparison like this. Angela has yet to say anything to surprise or impress me. She has a lot of different ideas but none of them very well thought out or feasible. I like alternative thinking but I can not appreciate Angela's strident adolescent approach to city politics.

Bill Forbes is another candidate I wouldn't endorse but more so because I know less about him than I do about the others on the above list. At one All Candidates Meeting I think he was asked only one question at the end? He definitely hasn't stood out enough for me to take much notice.

I like the way Ron Bolin thinks. At least from what I've gathered from his website and his answers to various posed questions. He's logical and intelligent. I imagine he'll be very capable if elected to council. I wish I knew as much about his politics as I do about his managerial/logistical skills.

I'm a fan of Gordon Fuller. He's passionate, driven and oriented towards positive goals. He's a clear speaker and willing to hear a differing opinion. I'm confident he would be a real asset to City Council, the housing initiative the city is carrying out and the OCP. Gordon wants to bring decorum to council and it's operation. I really believe council should be a mix of individuals with many and possibly different strengths to help make council well rounded and representative of all Nanaimoites. Gordon Fuller would fill a spot on council that has been sorely vacant for some time. 

Is it awful that what I like about Bill Holdom is his ability to properly use the English language? Ha. After all that painful reading I did from James Younger it may not be a shock that basic English skills are something I appreciate in a would-be councilman. Bill seems approachable and I've enjoyed his answers on the South End Votes blog, like his good grasp of issues in the South End or his unique comment on a passenger ferry before a multiplex. 

I like Fred Pattje and it seems many people do too. He seems willing to listen to and consider issues outside his own personal experience. Fred has real ideas and a willingness to make them happen. His in person presentation at each of the All Candidates meetings have been superb.

I was having a conversation about Simon Schachner the other day downtown and the other person told me that they thought he was like Angela- running for council out of defiance. I couldn't agree less. I think Simon is running because he wants to improve living in Nanaimo- for all residents. I think he has strong code of ethics. He speaks clearly and thoughtfully. 

Thanks to Gord's posting on "Plumping" seen on his blog and on the South End Votes blog I've decided I will not be voting for the maximum number of council candidates allowed (eight). In only voting for those I feel strongly about I give my vote more power. 

Looking forward to Saturday.

No comments: