Monday, November 17, 2008

What are you reading?

I like to read- a lot. I was thinking about making a post last week about books I've been enjoying this month. I was thinking about it again yesterday noticing how perfect the day was to stay in a read with it's gloomy fog.

This month I've read:
The Order of Good Cheer by Bill Gaston

Wow. I really enjoyed this book. The author lives here on Vancouver Island and the book takes place in both contemporary Prince Rupert and the early 1600's in Nova Scotia with Samuel Champlain. 


Into The Wilderness by Sara Donati

Okay, I'll admit that I've read this book more times than I can count. It's the first of a series and I enjoy them each time they are read. It seems this month has taken me to reading history novels because this book takes place in New York (?) in the late 1700's. It's a story about an English woman coming to live in the wild with her family and meeting and falling for a white man who was raised as a Native. It seems to be a continuation of the story told in the Last of The Mohicans. The leading man in this book is the son of Dan'l and Cora Bonner. 

I often re read books, in part because I'll finish a book and not have a new one to start and in part because I enjoyed a book enough to warrant reading it a second, third, fourth... time. I've started re reading this next book last night:

A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson

Bill Bryson is a joy to read. I love reading his stories enough that they're extremely hard to put  down once I start. If I'm dead tired in the day, reading late at night may be the reason why. One must be warned that a trip to the bathroom is vital before sitting down to read. You may also be caught of guard *garaphaling out loud so it's also wise to consider where you are and who's around. Sneaking a read at work for example isn't always a sensible idea.

This book is the story of Bill's adventure walking the Appalachian Trail. His other books that are equally brilliant are: A Short History of Nearly Everything (a must read!) and In A Sunburnt Country. I really do need to expand on my Bill Bryson experience though and try his other books as well.

*Onomatopoeia at it's best

3 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Oh, I think I'll put these on my Christmas list. I am reading to do some reading!

I hope this finds you well, Allium.

Lily said...

Thanks CindyDianne!

Bill Bryson's books are especially good. I'm just starting his Australian one next.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I galaphed (almost garalaphed) through that whole book. And I agree the wilderness book was amazing - I'm so glad you sent it to me so I could get interested in that genre as well. Since we like so many of the same things I think it's time I try the order of good cheer. Thanks for reminding me about the laughter and giving me a suggestion for another book. Have a great weekend!