Saturday, June 14, 2008

Perfect Night For Sushi!

What a perfect beautiful night for sushi! 

I'm not sure if what I make would be considered 'real' sushi since I don't use seaweed to roll with and I don't always use fish but it's damn tasty. I actually don't care for the taste of seaweed much so use rice paper instead. 

For those interested in making sushi and haven't given it a go yet I'll add my basic recipe!

Sushi rice is best to make earlier in the day so it has time to cool all the way through. I usually make one and a half times this recipe so we have enough for lunch the next day as well.

Put 2 cups of sushi rice in a pot with 2 cups of water. Cover and cook on low for 15 min. Remove from heat and let stand 10 min. In small bowl stir together 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 3 tbsp sugar and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Transfer rice to large (non metallic best) bowl and pour vinegar mixture on top and toss to cover rice. Set aside to cool.

I warm some water in a frying pan on the stove on low. I put a rice paper in the water until softened (not too soft) and then place it on my cutting board. I spread some rice (not too much) on most of the rice wrap leaving the top bare so when I roll it up it's not too thick and will all stick together well. I then lay across the bottom of the rice wrap matchsticked cucumber, carrot, green onion, avocado, red pepper and some toasted sesame seeds. You can put whatever you like in it! Fish, smoked salmon, mango... I even have a friend who's tried apple. Then I carefully roll up. When I'm finished rolling all the sushi up I cut in inch wide pieces. 

I'd love to hear if you try this and like it or please share your own sushi recipe with me! I'm usually willing to try something new!

2 comments:

dilling said...

we love sushi, but love the seaweed...
we love, love, love spicy tuna(some super yummy hot oil with pepper flakes we found out at Coombs Country Market) with daikon, or salmon but we're not always able to find salmon that is sashimi quality...

Lily said...

Hmmm.... hot oil with pepper flakes.... You're making my mouth water. That's something that can be added to almost anything.

My husband would agree with you about *real* sushi but I don't know what it is about all seafoods that makes me cringe but I don't care for any of it. Kind of silly food aversion considering where I live but...