Wednesday, September 3, 2008

African Bean Soup

This is one of my favourite hearty soups to make. I've tweaked the recipe my dad shared with me years ago. I've never been that good at following recipes anyway. I had this for supper tonight!

It might seem strange to cook these vegetables with peanut butter and curry but I assure you it's a wonderful blend.

In a large pot pour a large splash of tamari and some water (maybe a few tbsp each). Add 1 chopped onion and 2-3 peeled and chopped yams.


Cook over high heat for about five minutes and then add 2-3 chopped carrots, 2-3 chopped celery sticks, 1 chopped red pepper.


Cover and cook another few minutes. Add a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1.5 cups (dried but cooked previous to making the soup) chickpeas, 1 bunch chopped cilantro and at least 4 cups of water or stock. Sometimes I add more water/stock to make the soup go further.

[I'll soak my chickpeas for 3-4 hours and cook in my pressure cooker for 13 min or I cook from dry in my pressure cooker for 40 min. For soaked I add 3 cups of water per 1 cup dried beans and for unsoaked I add 4 cups of water per 1 cup of dried beans to the pressure cooker.]





Add a couple tsp of curry powder and a couple big spoonfuls of peanut butter (maybe 1/3-1/2 cup) and stir in.


Let it simmer until finished. I like to serve with homemade naan bread which I'll take pictures and share soon.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can believe it. I make a root vegetable curry with peanut butter and coconut milk that's wonderful. Serve with yougust and cahsews...yum yum.

I'll try out your soup recipe. Thanks for the easy instructions!

Barbara D.

Lily said...

That sounds pretty rich and delicious too!

dilling said...

would canned chick peas be too trashy???
this recipe sounds delicious, but the prep planning sounds dangerous to me, still getting used to be a working gal again....

Lily said...

Ha! Trashy- no way!

I actually find it a quick meal to make. It's one of the meals I make when I have less time anyway. The chopping is quick and it just all gets chucked in the pot.

Maybe I'll bring it to a South End supper if there's another one. Last time I made chicken enchiladas but that took more time since I made the tortillas first.