Sunday, September 7, 2008

Marathons, Buskers and Movie Theatres



We were walking downtown today to watch the finish line of the half marathon. My husband had been volunteering earlier in the course and we wanted to cheer on a few friends we knew running. I couldn't believe all that was set up at the end of the race. I've seen these tent contraptions where runners could cool themselves off before where the tent is strung with small hoses spraying mist. Runners also had the option to take the seemingly more popular method of cooling off- by getting their hair washed by hairdressers. What a bizarre scene. There was also a fruit bar for the runners and a band playing in the back of the courtyard. 

Probably the highlight of the day was the busker/singer down in front of the fish and chips restaurant on the boat docks. I've seen him from time to time and man, can he sing. I always enjoy stopping for a longer listen.

We walked up Church street past the Modern Cafe and saw that the old theatre is getting torn down. Even though the theatre hadn't been showing pictures there in quite some time I find myself feeling down being reminded that if I want to go see a movie on the big screen I have to do it in North Nanaimo. I miss the days of walking to and from the movie theatre and never go see movies now because I'm not interested or willing to drive all the way to the characterless sprawl that is North Nanaimo. It just isn't worth starting up the car for. 

I'd love to see a working movie theatre somewhere in the downtown or south end. And I'm not talking about some megaplex with a ridiculous excess of theatres, gaming and other money sucks. Cheap- yet ironically expensive, faceless, zero community feel. Yes, the walmart of theatres is not what we need. 

Just a good old theatre with maybe one or two cinemas. Showing new movies or waiting a week or two after a movie has opened elsewhere. It would be perfect for the people who live here who don't have a need for instant gratification and enjoy not having to drive everywhere. It could get people out walking which of course is good for their bodies, minds as well as good for the community at large.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar reaction when I noticed that Palace Theatre no longer sits at 5th St and England in Courtenay. Sucks.

Lily said...

:( I wonder why more people don't want a neighbourhood theatre?