Saturday, September 6, 2008

South End Representation



I saw in the paper today that Gordon Fuller is going to run for Nanaimo city council. While I'm glad to see an article about him, for gawd sakes could then not use a better picture? I'll save the rant on the dodgy editorialising by the local newspaper for another day. Go Nanaimo Blog also makes mention of Gordon here (with a normal photograph of him even). I wish there was more about Gordon online to get to know him better and follow his campaign to become a city council member. Maybe Gord needs to enter the world of Facebook!

I don't know Gordon apart from what I'm reading recently and occasionally seeing him around town but I'm excited about the possible south end representation. Too many decisions made for (south) Nanaimo are made by people who don't live here and their decisions seem to be exclusively interested in making money instead of putting what's good for the local community first. These people can't and/or don't truly care what goes on here because it isn't in their backyard. 

From what I've read about Gordon so far, I like that he's involved in a number of different programs in the community. Oh heck, if that's not the understatement of the century. This guy is a part of almost every social advocacy group in the city! He obviously has an interest in making things better and is aware of the many real problems our community faces. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Gord's vision for the city. 

2 comments:

dilling said...

Gord is a great guy, a fantastic neighbour and more involved in the social/volunteer/inner workings than anyone on council. I have seen him at more "functions" than everyone else on council put together...and? He's a hoot to talk to!

Lily said...

I'm interested to meet him! I would also really would love to see more on him online. The first thing I did after reading that little bit in the paper was to search for more online. It would help others in and around the immediate area get to know him too. This would be especially important if he's working to be elected for city council with a broader view than just the South End, which I'm guessing he would be. While his vast experience is based here and our obviously need for representation, his passion for working with the community and doing "the right thing" could be a real asset to Nanaimo as a whole.