Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Civic Elections

I know it's a bit early for the upcoming civic elections but I'm finding it difficult to discover what exactly candidates running are hoping to accomplish when and if they are elected. I've been to a few websites like Fred Pattje and Pat Squire and while their sites are professional looking (even with the classic token pictures of each chatting up seniors) they offer no real insight into their political platform. I've heard complementary things about the two examples above and yet I'd like to cast a vote for more than just a "nice guy". 

I'm tired of political catch words. A political platform for should outline a candidates opinion on an issue and define what action that candidate intends to take to address the matter. Obviously a candidate isn't going to have an opinion on every concern facing Nanaimo but each should clearly demonstrate their understanding and ideals for the issues they intend to work on during their term. This is why a council is elected, so they can work together on all issues. 

I would like to see each potential candidate demonstrate how they can collaborate with other council members to bring about effective change on behalf of the city. I'm not looking forward to a debate if one is planned because we don't need to elect stubborn and argumentative people. We need to elect people with good ideology with the skills to work with other councillors to get things done. 

I'd love to hear more about the issues and worthwhile candidates who might address them. Who's catching your eye during this election?

1 comment:

Lily said...

I've found on Fred's site that you can click on underlined issues on the right and it will take you to a page that more clearly describes Fred's thoughts.